Happy new month?
I know, that’s stupid but we can just go with it and see where this goes.
You have been missed and I’m not just saying that.
These past 3 weeks have been hectic that I didn’t even check on this blog once! I’m not complaining though because I have really enjoyed that time.
Not because I was away from here but because I was working on a really dope project.
Sometime in Jan, I got a text from a friend about her friend and how she wanted to work with me on something. We met and as they say, the rest is history.
Vivian wanted us to work on a house and she handed me a blank canvas and some inspo photos.
As much as we had a lot of projects going on, the living room had the most work. Probably because we tend to have a lot of furniture in the living room anyway.
We didn’t exactly have a theme, but we knew we wanted to have a touch of yellow.
This house had the all-time landlords’ favorite color on its walls. That cream with yellow undertones. We were going for a touch of yellow but not that kind.
Vivian wanted white walls, so we painted the walls. The first coat didn’t go so well because Abraham thinned out the paint a little too much and you could see some of the cream underneath.
We opted for a silk finish because it is not super glossy or too matte and can be easily cleaned should dirt get on it.
Vivian came across this pin and it inspired her. The idea of adding texture to the accent corner came to us while we were out buying paint.
We got the 2mm Real Roc in 5kgs. The plan was to get the 3mm, but when we found out we had to place an order then wait a couple of days to get it, we almost gave up on the idea. Luckily, the store had a 2mm can ready for a different client, but they were not picking it up immediately. They sold it to us, and our order became theirs.
I measured out the entire length of the wall and decided to go with 1/3 to cover the corner. The length was 12ft. I measured 4ft from the corner and used a long piece of timber to draw a straight line.
After discovering we would need at least 2 more cans of the real roc, I had to rethink my strategy. Kidogo math in, and I had a solution. Break the accent wall into squares. Since it was going to be 8ft high and 4ft into the ceiling, I realized I could break it down into 3 4×4 squares.
I used the Real Roc only on the middle square which was going to be the most visible.
After the Real Roc dried up, it was time to paint the entire corner with this stunning yellow color (will add the code later). I did 2 coats of this painted 24 hours apart.
Vivian had this green chair in storage, and she felt it had some potential. When buying fabric, she decided to buy an extra yard just in case.
This is the part I let you know I had never upholstered a chair before this. I decided to just keep the green fabric instead of having to remove it.
We had cleaned the seat a couple of days earlier.
I sanded down all the legs and arms and continued to give it a fresh coat of vanish. It really elevated the stain the wood originally had.
Once that was done, I just cut my kitenge and covered the seat. I only used a staple gun for this. I didn’t do any sewing.
While on an errand run, Viv and I walked into MRP (Sarit) and came buy this wooden garden candle holder. It tied in with everything else we had going and that was the first point we had an idea or the living room lamp shade.
We decided to take it and after I drilled a hole at the bottom for the cable, Kel (0724 107 402) did the rest. He did all the electrical work.
We really like how it turned out and it looks pretty in the dark.
Viv was initially going to buy a sofa she had found online through a friend but unfortunately the seller changed her mind about selling.
We then just decided to make a pallet sofa as it wasn’t complicated or expensive.
I made a sofa like the one on my balcony.
We got pillow fiber and the cushions from Gikomba. A fundi sewed the large pillows and all we did was stuff them.
I used my hot glue gun method to make the throw pillows as well as their covers.
A Touch of Yellow
To add a feel of the yellow, I made some framed art using my trustee Naivas frames and a can of matte black paint.
Using the same paint we used on the accent corner, I painted some pieces of white paper and framed them above the sofa just to bring that element of yellow to that side of the room.
Before we even started on the house, we went to Toi Market in search of carpets. We found a couple but most of the vendors were running low on stock. We found a white textured rug for the living room and it worked very well with everything else.
Naomi (0100 354 035) as always came through with the plants. We carried our pots and she planted the them for us. Plants always add life to every room you put them in. If you don’t kill them.
I also made a tripod lamp for the accent corner, but I didn’t manage to film that.
I love everything about this room. It could be the yellow but there’s just something about it. Executing someone else’s vision was very exciting and Vivian’s reaction was the truth.
This has been the most fun I’ve had on a project so far, and I can’t wait to keep this momentum going.